The building was originally built as a church in 1834.
It was purchased from the United Presbyterian Church, known as Glencairn and Moniaive United Free Church, on 16th June 1921 for £350 to serve as a living memorial to those who lost their lives in the First World War. At that time various alterations were undertaken and the total cost was £2,649 which was raised by the community. The building was then valued at £4,000.
Alterations and upgrading in the early 1990’s cost £80,000, upon completion the building was valued at £400,000. The community raised £40,000 of the amount over the previous 20 years.
In 2007/8 further renovations were undertaken including the installation of a disabled lift and toilet, repair of roofs, and general upgrade of many of the facilities. These cost of over £70,000. The current rateable value is £40,000.